Below can be found a series of historical images from the archives of Lewis-Merthyr Band and Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council. Images of the current band can be found here with additional video and audio galleries also available in their respective sections of the site. We are always keen to receive new images of the band, its antecedents and the collieries where the band was founded. If you have any images or information associated with the band and its history, please contact us here
The Early Years
The band definitely dates back to 1855 or possibly earlier. A newspaper report of the period reveals there was definitely a brass band in existence in Cymmer and performing publicly in May of that year (source). Over time the instrumentation of the Cymmer Band altered, with the band becoming a military (wind) band in or around 1908, and at one time there was clearly more than one band operating in Porth, including the Cymmer Military Band, Lewis-Merthyr Brass Band and the Porth Drum & Fife Band. Images of the three types of band, with the different types of instrumentation clearly visible, can be found below
War Memorial Stone (1919)
The band performed for the unveiling of the War Memorial Stone in 1919, which lies between the former Lewis-Merthyr Colliery and Trebanog. After years of neglect, the stone was rediscovered and restored by Trustee Ivor England in 2012 (source). The photographs connecting the band to the stone were rediscovered in the Rhondda Cynon Taf archives by Lewis-Merthyr Musical Director Craig Roberts in 2018.
Below can be found images of the Cymmer Colliery, Lewis-Merthyr Collieries and the Lewis-Merthyr Colliery as it stands today, the Rhondda Heritage Park. Cymmer Colliery closed in 1939/40 and became an adjunct to the Lewis-Merthyr Colliery. The Cymmer Colliery and Lewis-Merthyr Bands also subsequently merged.
Additional images of the band will be placed here as and when they become available. If you have any images of the band not included above, place contact us here